tirsdag den 7. februar 2017

Back half a year when i was in Iceland

Surviving Iceland
Running out of money:
The lady who gave me a box to take  with me to the ship said I could take a taxi from the airport to the ship  and they’d cover the cost. Well I arrived with in Keflavik and had to go to Reykjavik, which is like 35 – 40 min. away. So go with it and it ends up costing 1000 DKK, around 200 CAD, 17000 ish ISK. A lot compared to what I got with me + I’d bought some tax free stuff. Well I arrive at the hostel and some nice people help me with getting the box up to the front desk. Vi var tæt på der jeg havde boet med mine klassekammerater da vi var på studietur. Tæt på Dominos haha. So wanted to store the box for the days I was to be there, which cost a fair bit…and then I didn’t have money enough, so stored it for one day. Some luck was with me. The trawler/ship I was going on had arrived early and met up with them in the evening. Got free beer unlike me they had money. And knew one who had been on the ship, so lucky I am.

Taking taxi with box to the ship:
So the next day I wanted to go to the ship, so it doesn’t need to be stored so I didn’t have to pay.  I get into a cab and tell the chauffeur that I wanted to go to a Greenlandic ship as I didn’t know what the harbour was called, but gotten where it was near at. He makes some calls and we go, but knew that it was the wrong directions. We end up at the ship he got information about and it’s another Greenlandic trawler. So ask one from the ship if they knew where it might be and he tells the driver the place. He makes a new call and gets the name of the ship I had to go to. So we go there and he stops the money-meter or what you call it. Get to the ship and tell them I have the box.

Blue Lagoon:
Same day I went to Blue Lagoon. Geothermic bathing place – very popular. It was a bit boring to be alone, but enjoyed it.

Jessica, my 2nd year from London, was on Iceland too and had messaged me if I was interested in meeting up, and of course I was. She too in the evening had to go to the Blue Lagoon, so met her afterwards. She was there with her boy friend and we had a glass of water together. It was getting late and they had to leave in early morning. So cool when you meet people unexpected.

Diving:
The next day I woke before 7 am as I was to be picked up for a diving trip. We drove to the place where we were going to be diving – Silfra Tour. Havde været tæt med studieturen. It was in between the two continental plates. The water was very clear and I certain of it being drinking water as one of the guides said we could drink it. Very nice and fresh, like the water back home. The visibility was amazingly clear and the nuances of blue changed during the dive. Think it was a fine dive – most say different from Pearson. It was in a drysuit and we had some kind of dragt på inden under; man så agent agtig ud. We did it twice. Most say my favourite dives were being at Pearson especially with the sea lions!

Last day:
On the last day I went around a little, but not much as I’ve been there before. I slept a lot as I hadn’t been sleeping well the first days, so caught up on it. I watched Gossip girl and then went to bed.

First day on board:
Arrived around 11.00 after checking out and eating breakfast, which I thought could have been better. Anyways got my birthday settled to the captain, I don’t know why, but that’s normal to do as just before leaving the “togt leder” asked if I’d done that. We left harbour at 14.00 had a safety tour around the ship and then did some paper work.

I like being outside as it gives me fresh air and less sea sick, but also just nice. Sleep a lot as work hasn’t begun yet.


The first hours being on board made me a bit sea sick/motion sick, so slept and then woke up before dinner. I went to the rest room and then puked. But felt so so so much better after that and could eat a little. Think it’s a stage you have to go through first. They said that in the night there would come a little storm, thank god that there wasn’t!


There's too many photos to caption so I'll tell you that there's pictures from Iceland, Blue Lagoon, the ship, equipment used at the trawler, nature we passed - Prins Christian Sund







2nd year from UK who were in Iceland too when I was there. The world is small.



































































































































































Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar